Sunday, May 17, 2009

North Georgia Dendrology







Always in discovery and on high alert, I noticed that trees covered with yellow tulips were beginning to show up everywhere. As luck would have it, I had my very own Forester in tow! I could not stop exclaiming over the tulips in the tree while close examination of the branches, leaves, bark, etc. was underway. After careful consideration, it was indeed pronounced a TULIP TREE...liriodendron tulipifera. Apparently, it is in the Magnolia family and not the Poplar as its name suggests, and it does not grow in the far north or the Deep South. Hence, my lack of exposure to this stunning spectacle. How my very own Forester could keep this tree a secret from me is just inexplicable!! The tree is extremely large (quite unremarkable except for the flowers) and getting a close up of the tulips was tricky...but persistence paid off. A tree growing at the bottom of a very steep embankment some 40ft. down gave us free access to the high limbs and the blossoms! You gotta love a happy Forester!

2 comments:

  1. Your Forester failed you???? hmmmm What's the use of driving all over the country if you can't get a professional tour guide? Al... gonna have to bone-up on that flora and fauna, eh? The tulips are gorgeous, that's for sure! Happy Trails! Miss ya! Patti :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulip Popular were the flower of our pretend weddings. Majestic trees that drop all year long.
    I am getting ready for the Great Wall; working hiking as well as STEPS. Enjoy the cool of the mts. Happy Trails. LBB

    ReplyDelete